Friday 20 March 2009

Visual Thinking Feedback

Reflecting on the feedback that was fed back from the Visual Thinking Unit.
Some aspects to take away from the feedback were that my breakdown of the brief and detailed analysis of a wide range of research were noted as being positives in the comment section. I felt this was something I focused on in this brief as I tried to incorporate elements of the contextual studies we had been working on throughout the year in to my analysis of advertising elements and other designer’s work. My new way of recording elements instead of using a sketchbook was also noted as a plus, however I am still experimenting with new ways of recording information in current projects.
In relation to the final product, two posters, one for a bus shelter and one for a side of a bus was received well. The concept itself (My idea of saying ‘Pass it on’ in relation to Amnesty’s already existing ‘Protect the human’ tag line) and to form a connection with young people through the imagery and idea of the advert, according to the feedback, may not have been communicated as well as it possible could have been. It was noted on my sheet and also during discussion with tutors that there wasn’t as much development and in depth analysis of my final idea as there was when compared to my research and theory that underpinned my idea. I feel the final outcome and message not being communicated clearly related to this as if I had applied as much time and analysis to the final image, the aspects that were holding the message back from being received successful may have been tweaked and polished through critique and improvement.
As a result of this feedback and reflection I have outlined that in future projects I will focus on:
• Maintaining my in depth analysis of research, so that all my future works are underpinned with the same level, if not a higher degree, of theory and contextual ideas.
• Managing time so that I can apply the same level of analysis and development in to my final idea as I do in to supporting it.
• Allow time to experiment and tweak the final outcome so that it is designed to a high degree.
• Maintain a consistent style of displaying information and research in my sketchbook for coherency and readability.

No comments: